tirsdag 4. desember 2012

Exercise

The temperature is -10 degrees centigrade outside with a blue sky and there would be sun too, except at this time of year it doesn't make it high enough in the sky to get over the mountains. I am sitting inside, close to a warm wood-burning stove, with my computer and a cup of tea. Out of the window there are scores of birds flying to and from the bird table. In many ways it is the perfect traditional scene.



This is a time of year when we allow ourselves a few extra treats. Chocolate and crisps are my weakness. I know I should stay fit and healthy even in the snow and ice but it is just so tempting to stay in in the warm ... Perhaps a walk later ... It is easy to let the days slip by knowing that for my health I should join a gym, go for a walk regularly or go swimming but not actually getting a grip on myself and doing it. My head knows it and I feel vaguely guilty about it now and then but the days just roll past.

I also know that to stay spiritually fit and healthy I need to train my spirit. It is far to easy to think I will just do this or just do that before I sit down to read my bible and pray. The same thinking can happen here too. The days roll by and my good intentions have come to nothing.

I know from when I was at my peak of competing in endurance riding that training is addictive. The endomorphins given out when we train make us want more and so it is lesss difficult to train when we are in a regular pattern of doing it. I remember going on a long ride for 2, 3 or 4 hours in all weathers. I know the feeling of the cold and the snow on my face and my hair turning stiff and crunchy because it had got snowed on; the snow had then frozen to solid ice on my hair so when I touched it, it crackled and crunched. It was not unusual for me to swim a couple of kilometres 3 or 4 times a week too.

It is so much easier to set aside a time for thinking, reading the bible and praying, which includes listening to God, when we have a regular routine. I have huge respect for the people I hear about who get up at 5 or 6am to spend some quiet time with God before the day begins. I realized long ago that I cannot do that: I just do not function well in the early morning. It is all I can do to stay awake and remember what I need to do. I want to give God my best and I am not at my best at that time of day. Some time ago I decided to stop listening to those around me and to work out when I am at my best and give that time to God in prayer, listening, bible reading and worship.

For me it works to have regular time with God. It is addictive too, because when I come close to God, into his presence, I don't want to leave and it is no trouble to come back to him again and again. If I let myself become unhealthy either physically or spiritually then my long-term health and welfare will suffer. I know it in theory ... I think I will go for that walk now!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar